Monday, January 5, 2015

Stephen King's "On Writing"

On Writing is one of the best voices in the noisy conversations on the craft of writing.  Join me, as I blog my way through this book.

Stephen King, the master of mystery, suspense, and the paranormal dishes out his best advice to writers, but his writer gate is much narrower than the usual self-help style books that crowd the "How to Write" market. He states:
"This is not an autobiography. It is, rather, a kind of curriculum vitae-my attempt to show how one writer was formed. Not how one writer was made; I don't believe writers can be made, either by circumstances or by self-will (although I did believe in those things once). The equipment comes with the original package."
What do you think?  Are Writers made or formed?

I agree with King, that either you have it or you don't--and if you have it--what you have can be polished until it shines.

He's preaching to the choir.

No comments:

Post a Comment